How Lucky Got His Name

Lucky as a puppy wearing his first bandannaIt was a hot day in June, four years ago, I was on my way to work and as I drove through our neighborhood, I found a cute brindle colored puppy in the street. His tail was wagging and he was happily taking in all the smells his little nose could handle. I stopped the car, got out and squatted down to the puppy’s level. He came happily running towards me and jumped in my arms showering me with wonderful little puppy kisses. I couldn’t believe he was out roaming the streets all alone without any supervision. I was concerned because the main road was only about a block away and didn’t want this cute little one to get hit by a car. He had a red collar on, but no tags, so I started to look around and tried to figure out which house he lived in. I decided to try the one that we were closest to first. I went to the door carrying this little bundle of joy and knocked loudly. We waited, waited, and waited,but no one answered. After about ten minutes of knocking with no one answering it, I decided I would have to take this little fellow to work with me and continue looking for his home later, after my work day was through. Just as I started to get in the car with my new little friend, a man came out of the house I had been knocking at. I asked if this was his puppy and he said it was and that he kept getting out of the yard. As I handed him the puppy, I looked over at the gate and noticed that it was about a foot above the ground making it really easy for the puppy to walk right under it without even having to duck his head. I told this man how I had knocked on his door for ten minutes with no one answering and his reply was that he worked nights. He thanked me for returning his dog and I drove away heading for work.

Lucky in his crate looking cute with his very first T-shirt

As I drove and started thinking about the cute little loose dog, I started to get angry. What kind of owner does not take precautions to keep a young puppy inside the yard? What kind of owner puts a puppy outside for the day unsupervised so that he can sleep the whole day without being bothered? Not a very good one apparently! I made a vow that if I saw this puppy loose again that I would not return him next time.

Lucky snuggling with his big brother Zeus

About three days later, my mother was visiting and we had a bad thunderstorm causing our power to go out. My mother and I were both hungry so I decided to make a pizza run. On my way to pick up the pizza, I saw the cute little puppy again roaming around outside of his yard. I stopped and picked him up, but this time I did not knock on the door. I got back in the car with the puppy in tow. He seemed happy to be going with me and was craving attention. I was shocked that someone would leave a little puppy outside in a thunderstorm and decided this little one would be coming home with me instead of being returned to his home. I didn’t want to keep him, but something had to be done to show his owner that he needed to treat his dog properly. Not sure of what I was going to do with this little dog, he and I continue on the journey to the pizza place and then back to my house.

My little Lucky monkey

My mother was not surprised to see me carry in the pizza and a side of puppy, she knows me so well. She says I haven’t changed since I was a child and again I have found an animal in need of help. After a long discussion with my mother as to what I shouuld do with this little happy go lucky pup, we decided to call the police department and see if they had any suggestions as to what to do about the situation. The officer I talked to said that a loose dog was a $500 fine in our city and wanted to know if my husband and I could hold the dog at our home until morning. Because this happened on a Sunday, the department had no animal control officers on duty. I agreed to keep him over night and call back in the morning to speak with an animal control officer. I figured a fine like this would teach his owner a lesson and he would fix the gate to prevent the puppy from escaping from the yard.

A happy boy!

For the rest of that evening, we played and introduced our Rottweiler Zeus to this new little puppy. They hit it off right from the start becoming fast friends. They romped and played in the backyard sharing toys and sticks. I took them both for a nice walk and the puppy got to meet our neighbors. After an exciting evening full of fun, playtime, and attention, the dogs snuggled next to one another in Zeus’ bed and slept together for the rest of the night. It was so sweet how well they got along. I was kind of sad because I knew this little dog without a name would not be staying long and would have to go back home soon.

Lucky playing in our backyard

The next morning at 9am, I called the police department back and spoke to the animal control officer. After explaining the situation, he told me that he would speak with the owner and we could take the puppy to the humane society and drop him off there. The puppy would be held until the owner paid the fine and then he would be able to pick up his dog. If the owner decided not to pay the fine, the puppy would go up for adoption. I agreed and on our way to the humane society, I kept telling myself that if he went up for adoption, he would find a home fast because he was young and cute. As my husband and I approached the entrance of this sad animal shelter with this too happy little puppy, we noticed a hand written note on the door. It said “Sorry for the inconvenience, the humane society will be closed for the day”. It was not a holiday and we arrived during normal business hours so this was really strange. My husband decided that I was meant to have this dog and he was meant to be a part of our life and family. Just because of the way everything was happening….. I found him twice in three days, the police department asked me to keep him over night, and the humane society was closed for some strange reason. He told me to call the animal control officer back and to tell him that we wanted to adopt him if the owner did not want to pay the fine. So I called and the officer told me that he would call me back after he spoke with the owner.

Best Friends

My husband, the puppy with no name, and I returned home and waited for the return call from animal control. About two hours later the phone rang and the officer said he was on his way to our house and that the owner did not want to pay the $1500 in fines so he surrendered the animal. I do not know what the fines were for and did not ask, I just know that I would pay any amount to get my dog back and was surprised that this owner gave up on his dog so quickly. If he would have taken proper care of the dog in the first place, he would not have been asked to pay these fines.

The Boys!

When the officer arrived at our home, he told us that they normally do not adopt animals out and that all adoptions normally have to go through the humane society, but he could see that adopting him to us would be the best thing for the dog and decided to bend the rules for us. He asked for our driver’s licenses and said he would make out a police report saying the dog now belonged to us. As my husband and I stood at the officer’s car, with our new puppy on his leash, waiting for the officer to finish the report, my husband decided that the name Lucky would fit this little puppy perfectly. The officer smiled at this and agreed. He was lucky he did not get hit by a car, he was lucky he did not get lost, he was Lucky he found me!

This adorable little dog has made our family complete!

So here Lucky will stay, with his new family who love him so much. He has been a wonderful addition to our family and I am glad that our paths crossed and everything ended up the way it did, I am sure Lucky would agree!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s